"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
BABYLON: Part 6 - Fruits quotes
1) "As the Jews departed from God, and failed to make the righteousness of Christ their own by faith, the Sabbath lost its significance to them." Desire of Ages, p 283.
2) The Seventh-day or Saturday is the only Lordís day of worship as the Sabbath (Genesis 2:2-3; Revelation 1:10; Testimonies, vol 6, p 128); that it is a special holy day of rest in which we are to cease from all secular labor, from all business and worldly affairs, and devote this 24 hour day to God (Exodus 20:8-11; Isaiah 58:13-14; Nehemiah 13:15-22); that it is the sign or seal of God (Ezekiel 20:12, 20; Exodus 31:13-17), and that there is no biblical truth supporting a change to Sunday as the Lordís day (Exodus 20:8-11; Deuteronomy 5:12-15; Hebrews 4:3-11; Ezekiel 20:12-20; 1 Chronicles 17:27). Thus we must keep the Sabbath holy in obedience to God if we want to make it to heaven (Early Writings, p 37; Desire of Ages, p 206; Testimonies, vol 8, p 196-198; Great Controversy, p 455; Testimonies, vol 6, p 349; Prophets and Kings, p 182; Bible Commentary, vol 7, p 949; Testimonies, vol 3, p 392; Evangelism, p 290; Testimonies, vol 1, p 532; vol 2, p 705; Life Sketches, p 117-118), because the Sabbath will be the great test and dividing line between those who follow God and are saved, versus those who follow Satan and are lost (Revelation 13:17-18; Testimonies, vol 1, p 353-354; Bible Commentary, vol 7, p 983).
3) "While the Sabbath commandment has a distinct practical value, the specific day, in and of itself, doesnít. Thus...keeping any other day could Ďworkí..." A Pause For Peace: What Godís Gift of the Sabbath Can Mean for You, p 114, by Clifford Goldstein, published by the Pacific Press Publishing Association in 1992.
"God is glad for us to go to church both days [Saturday and Sunday]. He wants us to worship Him both days....Anybody who takes a whole day out of every week to spend with God will have more of Godís power in his life, and God can do more through him and in him." Signs of the Times, March, 1990, p 22-23.
4) "The truth about Godís day of rest and the truth about rest from our own efforts to overcome [sin] are closely related....
"But I invite you today to enter into Godís rest, to cease from your own works in trying to obey and overcome and be victorious." To Know God, p 100, by Morris L. Venden, Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1983.
"...despite our unfinished characters we stand complete in Christ. His accomplishment at Calvary counts as our atonement. We enter His [Sabbath] rest." When God Made Rest, p 21 by George Vandeman, published by the Pacific Press Publishing Association in 1987.
"We can be delivered from the slavery of sin and grow in grace only by resting from our own works [of obeying Godís law] and entering His [Sabbath] rest." We Still Believe: after 150 years of waiting, watching, and hoping, p 62-63, by General Conference president--Robert S. Folkenberg, published by the Pacific Press Publishing Association in 1994.
5) "...the Sabbath is the seal of our love and allegiance to a loving heavenly Father." Adventist Review, May 5, 1994, p 18.
"...salvation by faith versus salvation by works...The book of Revelation describes this conflict in terms of the seal of God versus the mark of the beast: [Revelation 14:9-12 quoted]...the Sabbath...as a sign of Godís completed work in us for salvation." We Still Believe, p 65-67.
6) "What Do Seventh-day Adventists Believe? Hear pastor/evangelist Jere Webb present a fresh look at ĎThe Truth.í Subjects include...ĎChrist centered reasons for Sunday worshipí..." Pacific Union Recorder, June 4, 1990, p 27.
"All busy people yearn for a day of rest. God Himself gave His permission, a command even, for a day to allow the soul and spirit to be refreshed. This is Godís gift to us. He will take care of us physically and spiritually if we follow His plan. Our systems need the replenishment. Sunday is a special day for this worship and refreshment....
"Thoreau said, if you want to destroy the Christian faith, first take away Sunday. He was right; itís a holy day, for those who know Jesus Christ as Saviour it cannot be a holiday. For those of you who have gathered around the cross and have been saved and washed clean by His blood, it is a sacrilege to do anything else on that day except to celebrate what God has done.
"If we abuse Sunday, weíre going to destroy something beautiful that God has given. No Sunday means no church; no church means no worship; no worship means no religion; no religion means no morality; no morality means no society; no society means no government; no government means anarchy. That s the choice before us." Confessions of a Nomad: What We Learned in Sinaiís Shadow, page 86 and 120, by Carolyn and William Self, copyrighted by the SDA Ministerial Association and published by the Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1998.
7) "Seventh-day Adventists do not rely upon their Sabbathkeeping as a means of salvation or of winning merit before God. We are saved by grace alone." Questions on Doctrines, p 153, by Review and Herald Publishing Association, 1957..
"If we consider Sabbath keeping a requirement for salvation, we have turned the commandment on its head. We are not entering into Godís rest at all. Rather, we are depending on ourselves and our works." We Still Believe, p 64.
"If you donít worship on the Sabbath, are you going to hell? No!" SDA Evangelist Kenneth Cox representing the SDA church on "Central Florida Live" TV talk show, hosted by George Crossley, Central Florida TV station WTGL, channel 52, February 8, 1993.
8) "If the question [of Godís true Sabbath] is merely a matter of choice between two days, it hardly seems significant enough to become the dividing line between the saved and the lost at the end of time...Just to be able to prove from the Bible that we are right doesnít seem a point important enough to die for....
"So in the end time, the real issue will not be Saturday versus Sunday. It will be salvation by faith versus salvation by works." We Still Believe, p 65.
9) "In the warfare to be waged in the last days there will be united, in opposition to Godís people, all the corrupt powers that have apostatized from allegiance to the law of Jehovah. In this warfare the Sabbath of the fourth commandment will be the great point at issue; for in the Sabbath commandment the great Lawgiver identifies Himself as the Creator of the heavens and the earth." SDA Bible Commentary, vol 7, p 983.
"The decree will go forth that they [Godís commandment-keeping people] must disregard the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and honor the first day, or lose their lives; but they will not yield, and trample under their feet the Sabbath of the Lord, and honor an institution of [the] papacy." Testimonies, vol 1, p 353-354.
"Be sure the Sabbath is a test question, and how you treat this question, places you either on God's side or Satan's side." 1888 Materials, p 477.
"All will be judged according to the light that has shone upon them. If they have light upon the Sabbath, they cannot be saved in rejecting that light." Historical Sketches, p 234.
10) "In the first centuries the true Sabbath had been kept by all Christians. They were jealous for the honor of God, and, believing that His law is immutable, they zealously guarded the sacredness of its precepts. But with great subtlety, Satan worked through his agents to bring about his object. That the attention of the people might be called to the Sunday, it was made a festival in honor of the resurrection of Christ. Religious services were held upon it...
"Another step must be taken; the false Sabbath must be exalted to an equality with the true....the bishop of Rome conferred on the Sunday the title of Lordís day." Spirit of Prophecy, vol 4, p 55.
11) "Good Adventist news for Easter--For the first time in denominational history a television network--CBS--will broadcast an Easter Sunday service from a SDA church. The program, ĎFestival of Hope,í will originate from the Camarillo Adventist Church in California. The speaker will be Elder Roger Bothwell, pastor of the College Church at Pacific Union College. WCBS, New York City, will carry the service this Sunday [April 22] at 11 a.m (8 a.m. Camarillo time) as will CBS affiliates in Roanoke, Boston, Tampa, Bismark, Minot, Madison, Williston, Cincinnati, Champaign, San Antonio, Columbus, Huntsville, St. Louis, La Crosse and Tuscaloosa. Some 20 other affiliated stations will carry the program on a delayed basis. Unfortunately, the CBS affiliate in Washington, D.C., WDVM, will not carry the program." General Conference Weekly Press Relations Newsletter, Spring, 1984. (See also Adventist Review, March 29, 1984, p 31.)
12) "Bob Hunter, pastor of the Stone Mountain, Georgia, [SDA] church, delivered the Easter message at the sunrise service atop Georgiaís Stone Mountain. The Service was attended by some 4,000 people and was covered by three of the local Atlanta television stations. The service was videotaped and aired on Stone Mountain churchís television program, ĎDiscovery.í" Southern Tidings, August, 1985, p 19.
13) "72nd annual Easter Sunrise Service at the Hollywood Bowl." This Sunday Sunrise Service was "televised internationally by the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and was carried by the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network" (Pacific Union Recorder, July 20, 1992, p 16).
14) Californiaís Burbank SDA church (see Pacific Union Recorder, March 6, 1989, p 26).
Californiaís Elmshaven SDA church (see Recorder, June 16, 1986, p 21).
Californiaís La Sierra Collegiate church (see Recorder, July 18, 1988, p 22).
Californiaís Riverside SDA church (see Recorder, June 16, 1986, p 16).
Californiaís Santa Ana Spanish SDA church (see Recorder, June 1, 1987, p 8).
Californiaís Sunnyvale SDA church (see Church Bulletin, April 11, 1987).
Californiaís Thousand Oaks SDA church (see Recorder, June 3, 1991, p 21.
Californiaís White Memorial SDA church (see Church Bulletin, April 11, 1987).
Hawaiiís Aiea SDA church (see Recorder, June 20, 1988, p 17).
Montanaís Jordan SDA church (see Gleaner, June 16, 1986, p 18).
Ohioís Toledo First SDA Church (see Church Bulletin, April 3, 1993).
Oregonís (Portland) University Park SDA church (see Gleaner, May 5, 1986, p 17).
Oregonís Mount Tabor SDA church (see Gleaner, July 7, 1986, p 24).
Washington Stateís Pasco Riverview SDA church (see Gleaner, May 19, 1986, p 13).
Washington, D.C.ís Review and Herald (see Adventist Review, April 27, 1989, p 7).
15) "...the sabbath...my holy day..." Isaiah 58:13.
"The Lordís day mentioned by John was the Sabbath, the day on which Jehovah rested after the great work of creation, and which he blessed and sanctified because He had rested upon it." The Sanctified Life, p 74.
"ĎI [John] was in the Spirit on the Lordís day...í The Lordís day is the seventh-day, the Sabbath of creation. On the day that God sanctified and blessed, Christ signified ĎBy His angel unto His servant Johní things that must come to pass before the close of the worldís history..." Testimonies, vol 6, p 128.
16) "...Paul rejected the Sabbath as a means of salvation but accepted it as a shadow pointing to the substance which belongs to Christ." From Sabbath To Sunday, p 369.
17) "The moral law was never a type or a shadow. It existed before manís creation, and will endure as long as Godís throne remains. God could not change nor alter one precept of His law in order to save man; for the law is the foundation of His government." Selected Messages, book 1, p 239-240.
18) "...the phrase Ďthe Lordís dayí in Revelation 1:10....More attention should be given to the possibility that the phrase refers to an annual resurrection celebration." The Sabbath in Scripture and History, p 127, published by the Review and Herald Publishing Association in 1982.
19) "...Adventist support [was being given] to those in opposition to the proposed repeal of the British Sunday trading laws....
"[Then during an interview] Elder Arthur was asked whether any of the [SDA] field leaders he had consulted had been opposed to sending the letters. His answer was no, there had been no opposition, all reaction received was positive." Prism, May, 1986, p 6, 12. (Prism is the paper of Newbold SDA College in England.)
20) "ON SUNDAY, MAY 19, our oldest church in New Zealand, Ponsonby, has been chosen as the venue for a nationwide televised church service--one of only six such services in NZ in 1985. This will be the occasion of Pastor Neal Wilsonís visit, and plans for the music and youth scripture reading are under way--not to mention working bees on the church!" Record, April 13, 1985, p 16.
21) "...the First Christian, United Presbyterian, Freedom United Methodist, Episcopal, All Saints Episcopal, Westview Presbyterian, La Salva Beach Community, Watsonville Parish, and the Catholic Social Services." Register-Pajoronian Newspaper, January 11, 1986, p 6; also the Watsonville SDA Church Bulletin on Sunday, January 12, 1986.
22) "In the South Pacific Kingdom of Tonga, Sabbath and Sunday keepers observe the same day of rest." Record, January 30, 1988, p 6, Article titled: "Why Tongan SDAs Worship on Sunday", with subtitle: "Tongaís Common Day of Worship".
23) "Let us praise God together - on our knees.
"Let us praise God together - on our knees.
"When I fall on my knees - with my face to the rising sun,
"O Lord, have mercy on me." Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal, "Let Us Break Bread Together," p 403-
404, and published by the Review and Herald Publishing Association in 1985.
24) "And he brought me into the inner court of the Lordís house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshiped the sun toward the east." Ezekiel 8:16.
"There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls...Her priests have violated My law, and have profaned Mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from My sabbaths, and I am profaned among them." Ezekiel 22:25-26.