"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES quotes
1) Does anyone know when the exact time the second coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ will occur? No, because “of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father” (Mark 13:32).
2) “And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
“And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.
“Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
“When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
“But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
“Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before.
“Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
“Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” Matthew 24:3-31.
3) “‘Tell us,’ they said, ‘when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming, and of the end of the world?’ Jesus did not answer His disciples by taking up separately the destruction of Jerusalem and the great day of His coming. He mingled the description of these two events. Had He opened to His disciples future events as He beheld them, they would have been unable to endure the sight. In mercy to them He blended the description of the two great crises, leaving the disciples to study out the meaning for themselves. When He referred to the destruction of Jerusalem, His prophetic words reached beyond that event to the final conflagration in that day when the Lord shall rise out of His place to punish the world for their iniquity, when the earth shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain. This entire discourse was given, not for the disciples only, but for those who should live in the last scenes of this earth's history.
“Turning to the disciples, Christ said, ‘Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in My name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.’ Many false messiahs will appear, claiming to work miracles, and declaring that the time of the deliverance of the Jewish nation has come. These will mislead many. Christ's words were fulfilled. Between His death and the siege of Jerusalem many false messiahs appeared. But this warning was given also to those who live in this age of the world. The same deceptions practiced prior to the destruction of Jerusalem have been practiced through the ages, and will be practiced again....
“As one of the signs of Jerusalem's destruction, Christ had said, "Many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." False prophets did rise, deceiving the people, and leading great numbers into the desert. Magicians and sorcerers, claiming miraculous power, drew the people after them into the mountain solitudes. But this prophecy was spoken also for the last days. This sign is given as a sign of the second advent....
“In the prophecy of Jerusalem's destruction Christ said, "Because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." This prophecy will again be fulfilled.” Desire of Ages, p 628, 631, 633.
“Christ forewarned His disciples of the destruction of Jerusalem and the signs to take place prior to the coming of the Son of man. The whole of the twenty-fourth chapter of Matthew is a prophecy concerning the events to precede this event, and the destruction of Jerusalem is used to typify the last great destruction of the world by fire.--Ms 77, 1899.” Last Day Events, p 18.
“Christ upon the Mount of Olives rehearsed the fearful judgments that were to precede His second coming: "Ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: . . . Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilence, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows" [Matthew 24:6-8]. While these prophecies received a partial fulfillment at the destruction of Jerusalem, they have a more direct application in the last days.” Testimonies, vol 5, p 753.
4) Are people being deceived? Yes!
Those being deceived are not just found in the political arena, but especially are they found in the various churches around the world. The winds of false doctrines are blowing with fierce intensity and affecting millions – especially coming from the pulpits! Falsehoods and lies are becoming common place; such as people being told that God’s true Sabbath is not on Saturday; or all of mankind will be saved in the end regardless of their character, or even the personal lies told to others on all kinds of subjects. All of these falsehoods are deceiving and leading millions astray.
5) Are many claiming to be Christ? Yes!
There are 1000's of different individuals claiming to be the Christ! Syracuse University estimated that there are over 2,000 different people calling themselves Christ during our generation alone (See http://falseprophetsteachers.blogspot.com/2011/04/people-claiming-to-be-christ-in-our.html, accessed 11-18-12).
The vast majority of these false Christs do not have a huge following, are not in the public notice, and thus are relatively obscure. But there are at least 30 others claiming to be the Christ or the Messiah who have gained publicity (see the names listed at Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia, under List of People Claimed to be Jesus, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_claimed_to_be_Jesus, accessed 11-18-12, and Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia, under List of Messiah Claimants, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messiah_claimants, accessed 11-18-12). These include Sun Myung Moon of the Unification Church, David Koresh of the Branch Dividians, and the Maitreya, and this list will just continue to grow.
6) Are there wars and rumors of wars taking place among the Nations? Yes!
One of the latest in the news is the warfare between Israel and Palestine. But did you know that there are literally hundreds of other wars and armed conflicts taking place today among and within various Nations?
– On the Continent of Africa, there are currently 106 different militias or guerrillas, separatist groups and anarchic groups involved in warfare among 24 different African countries.
– On the Continent of Asia, there are currently 87 such groups involved in warfare among 15 different Asian countries.
– On the Continent of Europe, there are currently 57 such groups involved in warfare among 8 different European countries.
– In the Middle East, there are currently 92 such groups involved in warfare among 8 different Middle Eastern countries.
– In the Americas, there are currently 24 such groups, including different drug cartels, involved in warfare among 5 different countries of the Americas.
So around the world today, there are a total of 60 different Countries currently involved in warfare against 365 different enemy groups! (Wars in the World website, at http://www.warsintheworld.com/?page=static1258254223, accessed 11-20-12).
7) Are there famines? Yes!
From 1958 - 1999 (covering some 42 years) there were 15 major famines which occurred worldwide. But in just the last 13 years – from 2000 - 2012 – there have been 54 declared famines occurring worldwide! (World Famine Timeline, at http://www.mapreport.com/subtopics/d/0.html#m0, accessed 11-20-12; also Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia, under Lists of Famines, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines, accessed 11-20-12).
8) Are there pestilence or diseases spreading? Yes!
There are currently at least 23 different infectious diseases in the world today and these are afflicting an estimated 411,160,000 people, and of these some 72,255,000 will die from these diseases. In addition, there are some 2,410,000,000 other people who are currently living with other highly infectious diseases which do not kill them outright, but they may never get cured from (Common Infectious Diseases Worldwide, article published at Info Please website, at http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0903696.html, accessed 11-20-12).
9) Are there earthquakes in many places? Yes! and the number of quakes continues to grow as each year passes.
– From 1980 - 1989 there were a total of 1,085 earthquakes larger than 6.0 on the Richter Scale (Article on Are Christians Being Caught, Afflicted and Killed?, published at Number of Earthquakes by Year from Johnston’s Archive website, at http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/other/quake1.html, accessed 11-20-12).
– From 1990-1999 there were a total of 1,492 earthquakes larger than 6.0 (United States Geological Survey, at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/info_1990s.php, accessed 11-20-12).
– In just the last 10 years, from 2003 - 2012, there have been 1,655 earthquakes larger than 6.0 (US Geological Survey, at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php, accessed 11-20-12).
In these statistics, one of the biggest increases in earthquakes has been in the range above 8.0 magnitude. There were only 4 earthquakes of this magnitude in the 1980's, 6 in the 1990's, but there have already been 16 such tremendous quakes in just the last 10 years!
10) Are supposed brothers and sisters in the faith betraying and hating one another? Oh yes!
What is so very sad is that many of us know some of these supposed brethren by name, and this will only continue to get worse.
11) Are there false prophets arising and deceiving many? Yes!
There are many, many false prophets today. Aside from the self-proclaimed Psychics like Jean Dixon, Edgar Cayce, Ruth Montgomery and Elizabeth Clair Prophet, the TV is full of false prophets, especially in the Christian arena. These Christian false prophets include Pat Robertson, Hal Lindsey, Chuck Smith, Jerry Falwell, Tim LaHaye, Benny Hinn, and also Harold Camping (see Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia, under List of Dates Predicted for Apocalyptic Events, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events, accessed 11-21-12; also see The Big List of False Prophets, published on The Preterist Website, at http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/f/false-prophets.html, accessed 11-21-12).
Over the last 9 years, from 2004 - 2012, there have been at least 400 different individuals spreading false predictions on the web, ranging from the start of the Rapture and the returning of Christ, to the beginning of the third world war. And 256 of these false predictions – or more than ½ – have occurred in just this year of 2012! (see Article on List of False Prophets and Failed Predictions, by Sergman, published on Godlike Productions website, at http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1661189/pg1, accessed 11-21-12).
12) Is the love of many waxing cold for one another? Yes!
– There were over 466,000 intentional murders committed worldwide in just this last year (Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia, under List of Countries by International Homicide Rate, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate, accessed 11-24-12).
– There were over 7.1 million cars reported stolen worldwide in just this last year alone (Interpol Database Statistics, under Stolen Motor Vehicle, at http://www.interpol.int/Crime-areas/Vehicle-crime/Database-statistics, accessed 11-24-12).
– There are estimated to currently be 27 million human trafficking victims worldwide (mainly being those forced into slavery in the commercial sex industry or into forced labor), and what is really sad is that a good portion of these victims are minors (see Human Trafficking Statistics - Polaris Project, at http://www.handsacrosstheworldmn.org/resources/Human+Trafficking+Statistics.pdf, accessed 11-24-12, and The A-21 Campaign website, article titled The Problem, at http://www.thea21campaign.org/the-problem.php, accessed 11-24-12).
But love for one another waxing cold is not just limited to non-Christians, but again what is so very sad is that many of us have personally experienced this coldness and lack of Christian love from some of our supposed brethren!
13) Has the Abomination of Desolation been planted? Yes!
Historically it occurred when the abominable banner or flag of Pagan Rome was planted within the holy ground of Jerusalem in 66 AD under Roman general Cestius.
This Abomination of Desolation has been literally repeated and planted again when the SDA church leadership willingly allowed the flag of the Vatican of Roman Catholicism to be planted within the holy ground of the SDA church during their General Conference Session of 1995 (to see proof of this, please go to this link on our website: http://www.lightministries.com/SDA/Booklets/id254.htm#vatican_flag). And in addition to this, the Abomination of Desolation has also been spiritually repeated and planted again when Sunday worship – or the abominable banner of Rome – was and is still being allowed to repeatedly occur within SDA churches (to find proof for this, please go to this link on our website: http://www.lightministries.com/SDA/Booklets/id254.htm. Or for more in-depth research go to this link: http://www.lightministries.com/SDA/Books/id94.htm).
14) Are there being shown great signs and wonders from false Christs and prophets? Yes!
TV false prophets and evangelists claim to be able to heal all kinds of diseases. While many such healings are nothing more than trickery, or if the sufferer’s symptoms do miraculously disappear, they only reappear a short time later causing greater suffering than before.
“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits.” Matthew 7:15-16.
“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:20.
“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1.
15) Has the sun been darkened yet? Yes!
The sun did not shine during the dark day of May 19, 1780. At noon-time it was just as black as midnight!
Has the moon not yet given her light? Yes!
On the night of May 19, 1780, the moon did not shine either – even though the night before it happened to be a full moon. And it was so dark that a sheet of white paper held just a few inches away could not be seen at all. When the moon finally did appear sometime after midnight on May 20, it looked like blood.
Have the stars fallen from heaven yet? Yes!
On November 13, 1833, there were over 240,000 meteors or falling stars that could be seen at any one moment, and it continued in this fashion for over 3 straight hours! The amount of light generated from all these falling stars made it bright enough to read a newspaper! (For more historical information about the sun and moon being darkened, and the stars falling, see our website under the 6th Seal at http://www.lightministries.com/id217.htm.)
16) Has the powers of the heavens been shaken yet? No, not yet!
The powers of heaven are not shaken until the voice of God occurs in the 7th plague (Revelation 16:17-21) which is just before Christ is seen coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
17) “Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.” Matthew 24:32-34.
18) “be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.” 1 Peter 3:15.
19) It’s time now to “prepare to meet thy God” (Amos 4:12), because “your redemption draweth nigh” (Luke 21:28).
"Now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2) – not tomorrow, because tomorrow may be too late!