"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
THE EIGHTH CHURCH: Fact or Fiction? , part 1 quotes
1) “The book of Revelation must be opened to the people....The truth it contains must be proclaimed, that people may have an opportunity to prepare for the events which are so soon to transpire.” Evangelism, p 195.
“Christ came to John exiled on the Isle of Patmos to give him the truth for these last days...telling him to send it to the churches. This instruction is to be the object of our careful and prayerful study; for we are living in a time when men who are not under the teaching of the Holy Spirit will bring in false theories.” Manuscript Releases, vol 20, p 150.
2) “Error is never harmless. It never sanctifies, but always brings confusion and dissension. It is always dangerous. The enemy has great power over minds that are not thoroughly fortified by prayer and established in Bible truth.” Testimonies, vol 5, p 292.
3) “The names of the seven churches are symbolic of the church in different periods of the Christian Era. The number 7 indicates completeness, and is symbolic of the fact that the messages extend to the end of time, while the symbols used reveal the condition of the church at different periods in the history of the world.” Acts of the Apostles, p 585.
4) -- Ephesus, meaning “first or desirable”, approximately 31 ad - 100 ad.
-- Smyrna, meaning “myrrh or sweet scent”, approximately 100 ad - 313 ad.
-- Pergamos, meaning “exaltation or elevation”, approximately 313 ad - 538 ad.
-- Thyatira, meaning “sacrifice of contrition”, approximately 538 - 1517.
-- Sardis, meaning “prince of joy”, approximately 1517 - 1798.
-- Philadelphia, meaning “brotherly love”, approximately 1798 - October 22, 1844.
-- Laodicea, meaning “judging the people or a people adjudged”, approximately October 22, 1844 - 2nd coming.
5) "From the beginning, faithful souls have constituted the church on earth." Acts of the Apostles, p 11.
"God has a church. It is not the great cathedral, neither is it the national establishment, neither is it the various denominations; it is the people who love God and keep His commandments. `Where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them' (Matt. 18:20). Where Christ is even among the humble few, this is Christ's church, for the presence of the High and Holy One who inhabiteth eternity can alone constitute a church." Upward Look, p 315.
6) "Christ would have His followers brought together in church capacity, observing order, having rules and discipline, and all subject one to another, esteeming others better than themselves. Union and confidence are essential to the prosperity of the church." Testimonies, vol 3, p 445.
7) "Oh read the prayer of Christ for unity, 'Keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are' (John 17:11). The prayer of Christ is not only for those who are now His disciples [back in Christ's day], but for all those who shall believe on Christ through the words of His disciples, even to the end of the world. Jesus...looks down the lines two thousand years to His church which would be in existence in the last days, before the close of this earth's history." Manuscript Releases, vol 1, p 355.
“There was order in the church when Christ was upon the earth; and after His departure, order was strictly observed among His apostles. And now in these last days, while God is bringing His children into the unity of faith, there is more real need of order than ever before; for, as God unites His children, Satan and his evil angels are very busy to prevent this unity and to destroy it." Early Writings, p 97.
8) “Perfection of character means perfection in unity. ‘That they all may be one,’ Christ said, ‘as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee’ (John 17:21).” Manuscript Releases, vol 11, p 179.
9) “To a world that is broken up by discord and strife, their [Christ’s followers] love and unity will testify to their connection with heaven. It is the crowning evidence of the divine character of their mission.” Testimonies, vol 7, p 156-157.
“Unity will bring into the work a power that we have not yet seen. This will be the evidence to the world that the work is of God.” Review and Herald, November 12, 1901.
10) “...the number of the churches--seven--indicates completeness and is symbolic of the fact that the messages extend to the end of time, and are enforced today; while the figures used are symbolic of the state of God's professed people...” Manuscript Releases, vol 1, p 372 (Manuscript 81, 1900).
11) “The call to the gospel feast is first to be given in the highways. It must be given to those who claim to be in the highways of Christian experience--to the members of the different churches. "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." Revelation 2:7. In these churches there are true worshipers and there are false worshipers. A work must be done for those who have fallen from their first love, who have lost their first zeal and interest in spiritual things. We must bring the warning before professed Christians who are transgressors of the law of God. To them the message must be given.” Testimonies, vol 6, p 76-77.
“The message to the church at Ephesus is a close, decided personal testimony to them for leaving their first love, and an earnest call to repentance, lest their candlestick be moved out of its place. We need to heed these words of warning, and repent of our sins.” The Home Missionary, November 1, 1897.
“The supreme love which sister Palmer has ever had for herself has stood directly in the way of her spiritual advancement, and if continued, will surely prevent her perfecting a Christian character. Sister Palmer is deceived in herself. She thinks she is in a favorable condition before God, when the message to the Laodicean church applies to her.” Pamphlet #138, p 48.
12) “And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou are rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.” Revelation 2:8-11.
13) “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” Revelation 3:7-13.
14) “You think, that those who worship before the saint's feet, (Rev. 3:9), will at last be saved. Here I must differ with you; for God shew me that this class were professed Adventists, who had fallen away, and ‘crucified to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.’” Word to the Little Flock, p 12.
15) “Do not think that because you are here in Battle Creek, God is not supervising the work in any other parts of the field....
“The great army of evil is constantly working to gain the victory for Satan. The synagogue of Satan has come out to contest every step made in the advancement of truth. Will those who profess to believe the truth join the powers of darkness? You have done it, but not all.” 1901 General Conference Bulletin, April 5, 1901, p 86.