"LET THERE BE LIGHT" Ministries
GOD'S DENOMINATED PEOPLE, Part 2 quotes
1) “Some have advanced the thought that as we near the close of time, every child of God will act independently of any religious organization. But I have been instructed by the Lord that in this work there is no such thing as every man's being independent....In order that the Lord's work may advance healthfully and solidly, His people must draw together.” Gospel Workers, p 487.
2) “There will be, among the remnant of these last days, as there were with ancient Israel, those who wish to move independently, who are not willing to submit to the teachings of the Holy Spirit of God, and who will not listen to advise and counsel. Let such ever bear in mind that God has a church upon the earth, to which He has delegated power. Men will want to follow their own independent judgment, despising counsel and reproof; but just as surely as they do this they will depart from the faith, and disaster and ruin of souls will follow. Those who rally now to support and build up the truth of God are ranging themselves on one side, standing united in heart, mind, and voice in defense of the truth.” Selected Messages, book 3, p 23.
3) “The secret of unity is found in the equality of believers in Christ. The reason for all division, discord, and difference is found in separation from Christ. Christ is the center to which all should be attracted; for the nearer we approach the center, the closer we shall come together in feeling, in sympathy, in love, growing into the character and image of Jesus.” Selected Messages, book 1, p 259.
“Christ is the great center, and they would approach one another just in proportion as they approached the center.” Desire of Ages, p 296.
“...all who are assimilated to Christ will be in harmony with one another. The Holy Spirit will create unity.” Selected Messages, book 3, p 20.
4) “When the people of God are one with Him, they will be one with each other. Their unity and love will testify to the genuineness of their union with Christ.” Manuscript Releases, vol 15, p 86-87.
5) “Men are taking sides, according to their choice....All that have refused to be taught of God, hold the traditions of men. They at last pass over on the side of the enemy, against God, and are written, ‘antichrist.’ The people of God, who understand our position in this world's history, are, with ears open and hearts softened and subdued, pressing together in unity--one with Jesus Christ. Those who will not practice the lessons of Christ, but keep themselves in hand to mold themselves, find in antichrist the center of their union.” Special Testimonies, Series A#9, 55-56.
6) “God does not design that His workmen shall stand apart as independent atoms....I pray that you may now, as never before, both ministers and church members, come up to the help of the Lord, to the help of the Lord against the mighty powers of darkness. Study prayerfully the 17th chapter of John. This chapter is not only to be read again and again, but its truths are to be eaten and digested.
“Are these words, of such import to us, to be always neglected? God calls upon those who claim to be His children to study these words, to eat them, to live them. Seek for unity and love, else the candlestick will be removed out of its place.” Pamphlet #156, p 12-14.
7) “And for their (Christ’s disciples) sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou has loved me.” John 17:19-23.
8) “The Lord Jesus will always have a chosen people to serve Him. When the Jewish people rejected Christ, the Prince of life, He took from them the kingdom of God and gave it unto the Gentiles. God will continue to work on this principle with every branch of His work. When a church proves unfaithful to the work of the Lord, whatever their position may be, however high and sacred their calling, the Lord can no longer work with them. Others are then chosen to bear important responsibilities. But, if these in turn do not purify their lives from every wrong action, if they do not establish pure and holy principles in all their borders, then the Lord will grievously afflict and humble them and, unless they repent, will remove them from their place and make them a reproach.” Upward Look, p 121.
9) “The cause of the trouble it is not difficult to determine. The workers have been independent threads, when they should have regarded themselves as threads that must be woven together to help form the pattern. These things grieve the Holy Spirit....Unsanctified independence places us where He (God) cannot work with us.” Testimonies, vol 7, p 197.
10) “Satan well knows that success can only attend order and harmonious action. He well knows that everything connected with heaven is in perfect order, that subjection and perfect discipline mark the movements of the angelic host. It is his studied effort to lead professed Christians just as far from heaven's arrangement as he can; therefore he deceives even the professed people of God and makes them believe that order and discipline are enemies to spirituality, that the only safety for them is to let each pursue his own course, and to remain especially distinct from bodies of Christians who are united and are laboring to establish discipline and harmony of action. All the efforts made to establish order are considered dangerous, a restriction of rightful liberty, and hence are feared as popery. These devoted souls consider it a virtue to boast of their freedom to think and act independently. They will not take any man's say-so. They are amenable to no man. I was shown that it is Satan's special work to lead men to feel that it is God's order for them to strike out for themselves and choose their own course independent of their brethren.
“God is leading a people out from the world upon the exalted platform of eternal truth...They will not be at variance, one believing one thing and another having faith and views entirely opposite, each moving independently of the body.” Testimonies, vol 1, p 650.
11) “...please do not use my name as sustaining you in taking an independent course.” Manuscript Releases, vol 17, p 257.
12) “An army would be demoralized if they did not learn to obey orders of the captain. Each soldier must act in concert. Union is strength; without union efforts are meaningless. Whatever excellent qualities a soldier may possess, he cannot be a safe trustworthy soldier if he claims a right to act independent of his fellow comrades. This independent action cannot be maintained in the service of Christ.” Manuscript Releases, vol 5, p 373-374.
“In spite of all the good qualities a man may have, he cannot be a good soldier if he acts independent of those connected with him....Take a strong team of horses. If, instead of both pulling together, one should suddenly jerk forward and the other pull back, they would not move the load, notwithstanding their great strength. So the soldiers of Christ must work in concert, else there will be a mere concourse of independent atoms....In union is strength. A few men and women who unite together, having the glory of God in view, will be growing in strength and wisdom, and gaining new victories.” Signs of the Times, September 7, 1891.
13) “Why are believers formed into a church? Because by this means Christ would increase their usefulness in the world and strengthen their personal influence for good. In the church there is to be maintained a discipline which guards the rights of all and increases the sense of mutual dependence. God never designed that one man's mind and judgment should be a controlling power. He never designed that one man should rule and plan and devise without the careful and prayerful consideration of the whole body, in order that all may move in a sound, thorough, harmonious manner.” Selected Messages, book 3, p 16-17.
14) “Where there is unity there is strength. United we stand, divided we fall. It is the special, declared plan of the enemy of Christ and man, to break up the church into independent factions....He loves to see discord and want of harmonious action in the church.” Review and Herald, July 10, 1888.
“...never, never forget that you are either servants of Jesus Christ, working strenuously for that unity of believers which Christ prayed might exist, or you are working against this unity and against Christ.” Testimonies, vol 5, p 478.
15) “A self-confident, independent spirit will never enter into the kingdom of God.” Selected Messages, book 2, p 216.
“You would act an independent part in heaven as you have acted on the earth.” Kress Collection, p 152.
16) “The church of Christ is to be in the world but not of the world. In calling His people together in church capacity, God designs that they shall form one Christian family and daily be fitting for membership in the family above.” In Heavenly Places, p 283.
17) “Perfection of character means perfection in unity. ‘That they all may be one,’ Christ said, ‘as Thou, Father, art in me, and I in Thee’ (John 17:21).” Manuscript Releases, vol 11, p 179.
“...they should not take on an independent spirit, but as followers of Christ be subject one to another. This is the very means that God has ordained that one shall have influence over another and all be transformed and molded after the divine Pattern, that all the believers in Christ are to be sanctified through the truth.” Manuscript Releases, vol 15, p 357.
“There is order in heaven, and it is to be imitated by those upon earth who are heirs of salvation. The nearer mortals attain to the order and arrangement of heaven, the nearer are they brought to that acceptable state before God which will make them subjects of the heavenly kingdom and give them that fitness for translation from earth to heaven...” Testimonies, vol 2, p 697-698.
18) “The prayer of Christ (John 17) is for all who acknowledge that they are His people, denominated to be loyal and true to all the light that Christ has given them. He first prays for their purity, and next He prays for their unity.” Manuscript Releases, vol 8, p 292.
19) “Christ would have His followers brought together in church capacity, observing order, having rules and discipline, and all subject one to another, esteeming others better than themselves.” Testimonies, vol 3, p 445.
“Unless there was church discipline and church governments, the church would go to fragments. They could not hold together as a body.” Manuscript Releases, vol 15, p 130.
20) “The Lord has shown me that gospel order has been too much neglected and feared. That formality should be shunned; but in doing so, order should not be neglected. There is order in heaven. There was order in the church when Christ was upon the earth; and after His departure, order was strictly observed among His apostles. And now in these last days, while God is bringing His children into the unity of faith, there is more real need of order than ever before; for, as God unites His children, Satan and his evil angels are very busy to prevent this unity and to destroy it.” Early Writings, p 97.
“I saw that this door at which the enemy comes in to perplex and trouble the flock can be shut. I inquired of the angel how it could be closed. He said, 'The church must flee to God's Word and become established upon gospel order, which has been overlooked and neglected.' This is indispensably necessary in order to bring the church into the unity of the faith.” Early Writings, p 100.
21) “‘The city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honor into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. And they shall bring the glory and honor of the nations into it. And there shall in no wise enter into it anything that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.’
“'And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: and they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.’ Rev. 22:3, 4.
“Who are these? God's denominated people--those who on this earth have witnessed to their loyalty. Who are they? Those who have kept the commandments of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ; those who have owned the Crucified One as their Saviour.
“‘And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.' Verse 5. 'Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.’ Verse 14.” Review and Herald, August 4, 1904.
22) “None should feel that it is of no special importance whether they are in union with their brethren or not; for those who do not learn to live in harmony here will never be united in heaven.” Historical Sketches, p 124.
“Follow its [John 17] teachings, and you will be brought into unity....No one is called to walk alone. In Christ life and immortality are brought to light. He has opened the way to the kingdom of heaven to those who believe in Him, but He assigns to no one a path different to that which all must travel. He calls for unity, and unity we must have.” Manuscript Releases, vol 17, p 291.
“That we may unite with Christ in this work we should place ourselves under the molding influence of His Spirit. Through the power thus imparted we may co-operate with the Lord in the bonds of unity as laborers together with Him in the salvation of souls. To everyone who offers himself to the Lord for service, withholding nothing, is given power for the attainment of measureless results.” Testimonies, vol 7, p 30.